Roc Nation Launches $2.3 Million Counter Suit Against Rita Ora

 
After signing a five album contract with Roc Nation in 2008 Rita Ora filed a lawsuit against the label in December 2015, citing to have been ‘orphaned’ due to the label’s other huskiness endeavours. 

Jay Z called the singer – songwriter after the lawsuit was filed and agreed to relieve Ora from her contract. However, the rapper turned businessman filed a counter suit of $2.3 million, which according to Roc Nation, was invested in marketing her sophomore album. 

“Roc Nation’s market and recording costs, to date, for Ms. Ora’s still incomplete second album are not less than $2, 353, 500,” the lawsuit states.

The complaint, which was filed in a L.A. Superior Court, states: “When Rita signed, Roc Nation and its senior executives were very involved with her as an interest. 

“As Roc Nation’s interests diversified, there were fewer resources available, and the company suffered a revolving door of executives. Rita’s remaining supporters at the label left or moved on to other activities, to the point where she no longer had a relationship with anyone at the company.” 

Ora’s lawyer, Howard King, told The New York Daily News, he hopes to reach a settlement prior to the April 19 hearing deadline.

Taking to Daily News Monday, King said, “I think we’re just going to resolved  this. He said he’s happy to let her go. He called her the day after he filed and graciously said she didn’t need to file.

“I’m paraphrasing, but he said, ‘if you want off the label, we’ll let you go.'”

The lawyer also claims to believe Roc Nation’s new counter – lawsuit was filed ‘reluctantly’.

Monica Dismisses ‘Boy Is Mine’ Feud With Brandy

Monica and brandy

Since the release of The Boy Is Mine nearly two decades ago, questions still remain over Brandy and Monica’s chart-topping 1998 duet. Who was the ‘boy’ they sung famously about and the truth behind their feud.

During an interview with Huffington Post Live, Monica revealed who the mystery boy as she said, “People are still asking, ‘Who got the boy?’ she said, before dropping dropping the mother of all truth bombs: ‘there was no boy!’ Say what? There was no feud over a guy? We’ve been tricked! We played up the dramatics of it all, but we were 16 and 17!”

The songstress then went on to admit the alleged feud between herself and Brandy was ultimately formation by their record label at first, but didn’t work out the way it was intended.  “It started off as brilliant marketing, and people started creating these skits, and then our fans divided, and it became this real thing,” she said.

She explained, “But now as us being adults, it doesn’t exist. Brandy makes amazing music, so why would I tell a fan of mine that you can’t support her? It’s really frustrating. I am a huge supporter of everyone in the business, especially her.”

Monica went on to express that she and Brandy are still friends. The singers reunited in 2012  It All Belongs To Me for Brandy’s album.

“We know that as different as we are, there’s room for both of us. I absolutely wish the best for her, because I know what the journey is like. I know what the life is like,” Monica added.

 

Adele ‘taking her time’ On New Album

Producer Emile Haynie says Adele is 'taking her time' on new album

Photo credit: Getty

Adele is said to be ‘taking her time’ with her new album according to Emile Haynie. The producer met with the singer to discuss new material for the album but has revealed that she is in no rush to release her new album in over four years.

Haynie told the Daily Star: “Adele was awesome, but I don’t know if we’ll be working together. We got along well as friends when we met in February and I hope we can cut some songs, but Adele is taking her time. I’d push for it to happen, but we’ll have to wait and see.”

Lady Gaga and Adele

© Instagram / ladygaga

Last month, Kelly Clarkson hinted the singer was working on a country-influenced album while Lady Gaga prompted speculations that she was working along with Adele after uploading a picture of herself with Adele in January.

Fans are eagerly waiting for the follow-up to 21 which was recently announced as the ‘best selling album this millennium with sales of 4.74 million since its release in 2011.

It was rumoured that Damon Albam was working with Adele on the album. Albam is said to have met the singer at his west London studio. Details of the collaboration is yet to be confirmed.

The Sun reported at the end of last year, a source close to Adele stated: “Damon and Adele had a chat about her new album and they could work together in future.”

They added: “Adele’s exploring loads of different avenues for the music and isn’t rushing anything, but the album will be released next year.”

As for the lady herself, there is no word yet from Adele on her forthcoming album.

Cheryl Fernandez-Versini Returns To X Factor In £2 Million Deal?

 

SPL880895_014

Its reported Cheryl Fernandez-Versini has negotiated a £2 million contract to return to The X Factor this autumn.

The Sun reported the singer is said to have secured a £500,000 pay rise to re-join the show for another series after making her comeback in 2014 following a four year hiatus.

A source told the tabloid: “Cheryl knew she was in an incredibly strong position because Simon was desperate to get her back.”

The source added: “She loves the show anyway, but being given an extra half a million quid always helps. And as far as Simon is concerned it is money well spent.”

The paper also claimed Mel B and Louis Walsh will not be returning as judges which means it could be the first year without Louis on the panel since the show began in 2004.

The insider concluded: “Mel and Louis almost certainly aren’t re-signing, but Simon knows Cheryl is a huge draw, Her last contract was pretty impressive, but she is thrilled with this one.”

There has been speculations of Tulisa Contostavlos being lined up as a judge for the show yet nothing has been confirmed.

Lil Wayne Sued For Threatening To Kill His Bus Driver

 Lil Wayne

 

Lil Wayne is facing a new lawsuit –for allegedly threatening to kill his former tour bus driver Mark Jones, and causing him emotional distress.

Jones, states the problem started during the Buffalo stop of Wayne’s tour when he pulled over to get gas. This apparently enraged Wayne who began to start cursing because the refuelling stop delayed the trip to get the hotel. So he began to threaten Jones making him afraid and continue driving without refuelling. Jones claims that the rapper continued to curse, threatening to unload his pistol and kill him.

Jones is suing Wayne for false imprisonment, assault, and emotional distress. Jones was hired to drive Wayne and his crew around for his 2014 summer concert tour.

It is not the first Wayne has been hit with legal issues. In July 2007 he was sentenced to jail after a concert in New York. Wayne was charged with once count of criminal weapons possession and one charge of criminal possession of a loaded weapon.

In 2010 he faced another legal issue. An Arizona judge sentenced Wayne to three years’ probation stemming from his 2008 arrest in the state over drugs and firearm possession charges.

Lil Wayne is also currently in the middle of a lawsuit, suing Cash Money Records after claiming he was a ‘prisoner’ at the label after refusing to release his long-awaited album Tha Carter V.

Simon Cowell On Zayn Malik’s One Direction Exit: “I was about to jump off a cliff”

simon cowell

One Direction fans have been in shock since Zayn Malik announced his departure from One Direction last month and it was music mogul Simon Cowell who tried to convince him not to walk away from the boy band.

The music mogul who formed the boy band through talent show X Factor told James Corden on The Late Late Show: ” I was just about to jump off a cliff. I was in Miami. I kind of knew this was coming if I’m being honest with you.

“We had a few conversations – he wasn’t happy and I was trying to say to him, ‘Look, I think you should stay around a bit longer,’ and then something in him just said, ‘No I’ve had enough,’ and then once the decision was made I dealt with it,” he continued.

“I saw him in person as well – but once someone has made their mind up they are going to go. At the same time I don’t want to push him too much because he’s 22 and I could see he was a bit stressed and needed some time off.”

He added: “Obviously [I] made sure the guys were OK, because they were shocked as well. I’d seen him in person as well, but once someone has made their mind up, they’re going to go.

“But also at the same time, I don’t want to push him too much because he’s 22 and I could see that he was a bit stressed and he wanted some time off and I had to respect his decision.”

The Britain’s Got Talent judge also insisted that the remaining boys – Louis Tomlinson, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Niall Horan – will continue and be stronger.

Simon explained: “For the boys it was interesting because they were in the middle of these live shows at the time.

“Then I watched the show back and they were incredible. I have a feeling they are going to deliver the best record they have ever made.”

Zayn Malik To Make First Public Appearance Since Quitting One Direction

Zayn Malik

Zayn Malik is reportedly set to make his first solo public appearance since leaving One Direction at The British Asian Awards in London on Friday (April 17).

Speculations are that the singer is even up for an gong, with friend and music producer Naughty Boy joining him at the event after winning an award last year.

Mila Kunis, Shah Rukh Khan and Gok Wan are expected to be in attendance at the ceremony, which will take place at The Grosvenor Hotel.

The ex-One Direction bandmate is one of the British Asian Trust ambassadors. The awards ceremony highlights achievements within the Asian community.

The remaining members of One Direction – Liam Payne, Harry Styles,  Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan – recently released their first photo as a quartet, and have begun writing new material for a new album.

“My life with One Direction has been more than I could ever have imagined. But, after five years, I feel like it is now the right time for me to leave the band. I’d like to apologize to the fans if I’ve let anyone down, but I have to do what feels right in my heart. I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight. I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world,” Malik said in an official statement on his departure from the band.

Christina Milian Ends Engagement With Jas Prince

Christina Milian And Jas Prince

According to reports Christina Milian has called off her engagement to the Rap-a-Lot Records CEO earlier this month. Us Weekly reported that Milian has moved her belongings out of the couple’s shared home in L.A on Thursday.

The couple started sating in late 2010 shortly after Christina split from ex – husband The Dream , with whom she has a four – year – old daughter named Violet.

In April 2013, the singer/songwriter was spotted wearing a diamond ring, playing coy whether she was engaged during several interviews.

The Dip It Low singer seemed to have hinted at the split last week when she posted a quote on Instagram which read:

“There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don’t. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of life, getting back up is living.”

In the caption, Christina added: “Morning inspiration. Turn your life around and do all the things that make you happy. It’s your life to live.”

 

Jennifer Lopez: ‘I Want To Be Friends With Mariah Carey’

Jennifer Lopez

 

Jennifer Lopez gave a candid interview to Bravo TV’s Watch What Happens Live when she was asked about her rumoured spat with Mariah Carey.

The hitmaker insisted: “I don’t have a feud against her at all.

“I know from back in the day, I’ve read things that she’s said about me that were not the greatest, but we have never met. Like, we don’t know each other.

“I think it’s kind of from word of mouth of things that have happened in the past that I’m not really aware of. But I don’t know.”

Jennifer revealed she would love to be BFFs with Mimi as she continued: “I would love to meet her and I would love to be friends with her.”

“I think she’s incredibly talented and I’ve always been a fan of hers. My All is one of my favourite songs of all time. I just love her. It saddens me to hear anything that’s negative because I’m a fan of hers.”

The singer also gave an insight on her feelings of celebrity derrieres when she was asked by a fan whether she thought if Beyoncé’s or Kim Kardashian West’s were a closer rival to her own posterior.

She said: “Are those the only choices? Not in a bad way! Just, you know — there’s so many booties!

“You know who I’m going to say has a great booty that I’ve seen in person? What’s her name? Jessica Biel! She has an amazing body. I remember seeing her and going, ‘God, she has a really nice, toned body. I need to go back to the gym!'”

Chris Brown and Justin Bieber Collaborate on New Song

Chris Brown And Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber and Chris Brown confirmed that they were working together on a new single dedicated to their fans when Bieber posted a picture from the studio captioning it: “Studio, me and CB did 1 for the fans.”

The troubled singers who have been caught up in their own share of controversy previously collaborated on Next 2 You for Chris’ 2011 album F.A.M.E.

According to HollywoodLife.com, a source tells the website it was the first time the pair have been reunited since Chris’ release from jail.

The source says: “They talked about how they admire and respect one another and how they are going to put all of their time and energy into this music. They’re both sick of being distracted by the outside world and are both getting back to the basics.”

In the meantime, it appears Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun and Lil Wayne have put their differences to a side. Last month, Wayne was seen insulting Scooter in defence of his protégé Lil Twist.

According to TMZ, they have put it behind them, drawing it up to a “huge misunderstanding.”

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow CelebUpdateNews on WordPress.com

Follow Me On Twitter!

Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.

Categories

Archives